Southside Senior & Community Center
3151 East 27th Ave
Spokane, WA 99223
At Southside Community Center, our mission is to enhance the physical and mental well-being of those we serve by providing recreational, educational and volunteer opportunities for seniors and the community.
At Southside, we offer classes, activities, travel and volunteer opportunities and special events for all ages—everything from arts and crafts, health and wellness, aerobics to mahjong, clogging to Texas Hold ‘em, Line Dancing to Zumba. Anyone can take part, but if you become a member, you’ll enjoy a number of special discounts.
We partner with the Institute for Extended Learning, ACT 2—Spokane Community College Senior Programs and Spokane Parks and Recreation to provide a variety of classes and activities. We also work with our multicultural partners to offer cooking classes, educational events and history tours.
We also coordinate countless day trips, overnight excursions and extended travel opportunities for hundreds of participants.
Volunteering at Southside
Join the Tuesday Lunch Team
Do you have time on the third Tuesday of any month in 2019 to be a vital part of the team that sets up, serves, and cleans up at the luncheons? If so, if you would like to become a part of the Tuesday Lunch Team, please call Betty (ext. 100).
Serve as a Kitchen Coordinator
The objectives of this position are to assist in the effective and efficient operations of the Southside Community Center (SCC) by supporting the staff and volunteers by coordinating the smooth operations of the kitchen for rentals, events, and lunches, ensuring compliance with the Health Department and inventory.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
· No formal qualifications are required
· Ability to work independently and as a team member
· Excellent organizational skills.
· Supervisory/management experience
· Strong interpersonal relations and communications skills
· Ability to walk moderate distances, negotiate steps, bend, stoop, reach above head, and lift 25 lbs.
· Food Handler’s card desirable
· Able to drive and use of personal car for incidental duties including banking, picking up, or delivering supplies.
As needed for events, rentals and lunches.
· Oversee facilitation of the kitchen for events, lunches and renters.
· Work with the Office Administrator, Activities and Rental Coordinator and Volunteer Coordinator to develop processes for volunteers.
· Ensure supplies needed for rentals and events are available.
· Ensure rental guests have what they need per their contract.
· Facilitate volunteers re kitchen usage.
· Advises Office Administrator of needed supplies for facility
· May assist with SCC’s events; e.g. sets up tables and chairs
· Keeps inventory of kitchen supplies, including place settings, pantry items etc.
· Works with the custodians on cleanliness of kitchen
· Assist with washing and folding Center linens as required.
· Help with training of volunteers in kitchen procedures.
· May attend committee meetings representing the interest of the kitchen
· Assist is any duties as needed to serve our customers, center and Executive Director
Other Openings Include:
· Set Up Team A
· Server Team B
· Busser/Clean Up Team C
· Commercial kitchen dishwasher
· Van drivers
· Lunch Program Committee
· Board Member
· Grant writing